PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #2096 - 12 msgs

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:11:03 -0700

Thanks to all who have responded so far on my problem
with a recalcitrant CD drive.

Note these salient points:

o It worked fine before.

o I did the upgrade and now it doesn't.

  >> Here is what my IDE setup looks like:

  >> $ for i in hd[a-d]; do echo "---- $i ----"; ide_info $i; done
  >> ---- hda ----
  >> MODEL="WDC WD204BA"
  >> FW_REV="16.13M16"
  >> SERIAL_NO="WD-WMA071064891"
  >> ---- hdb ----
  >> open() failed: No such device or address
  >> ---- hdc ----
  >> MODEL="PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T"
  >> FW_REV="1.05"
  >> SERIAL_NO=""
  >> ---- hdd ----
  >> MODEL="ATAPI 52X CDROM"
  >> FW_REV="VER-1.40"
  >> SERIAL_NO=""

  cs> well it would appear that at bootup the ide bus
  cs> thinks your main ide bus (ide0) has two devices
  cs> on it.

The output of ide_info as shown above clearly shows
that this is not the case. It correctly sees my lone
hard drive as the master (hda) on the first port, the
slave open, the Plextor burner as the master on the
second port (hdc), and the 52X standard CD drive as the
slave on the second port (hdd),

  cs> the easiest fix I can think of is to try the
  cs> other connector on the ide cable itself ...

Easy for you maybe. Given that it worked fine before,
and I have not touched the hardware for at least a
year, there is no reason to think that tearing down my
system and fiddling around with cables and jumpers is
going to do a thing other than provide me with a lot of
downtime and foul things up a bunch more than they
already are.

  cs> cdrom. Also make sure the cdrom is jumpered as a
  cs> master and no c/s (if it has that option). That
  cs> should straighten out the ide bus.

No. The burner is the master and the standard CD is the
slave. It worked before, and should work again.

  >> o I can't mount a normal CD drive. I tried it with the
  >> RH7.2 installation disk.

  >> # grep cdrom /etc/fstab
  >> /dev/cdrom     /cdrom      iso9660 noauto,user,ro,loop 0 0
  >> /dev/cdrom1    /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

  >> # mount /cdrom
  >> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
  >> or too many mounted file systems

  cs> I think for the cd to be read that cdrom or
  cs> cdrom1 must be mounted as a scsi drive and the
  cs> music cd read through it.

I don't think so. As I said, it worked before, it
should work again. I didn't change anything. The only
thing that could have changed is if the installation
somehow rewrote the drivers.

BTW, I can mount the burner (/dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdc)
just fine.

  >> ... output deleted ..
  >> /dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  ...
  >> ... output deleted ..
  >> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
  >> Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
  >> Device /dev/hdd is not a CDROM
  >> Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
  >> /dev/cdrom is not a SCSI device

  >> o I *can* burn copies on my burner (/dev/hda)

Excuse me, that was supposed to be /dev/hdc.

  cs> Again shouldn't the cdrom be mapped as a scsi
  cs> device?

I don't think so.

  cs> or is cdrom1 your setup for burning?

Yes.

  cs>					   If it is is
  cs> it mapped as a scsi device?

Yes.

  cs>				  If it is Have you
  cs> tried loading/reading the files through cdrom1
  cs> instead of cdrom?

Yes.

  cs> Does Plextor have native drivers for linux so
  cs> that the scsi emulation stuff is void?

No.

As I said, it worked before, I did the upgrade, now it
doesn't.

  >> (gtcd) popped up and tried to play it. ...

  cs> sorry I use xmms for playing audio files. ...

The client program used to play the music is
irrelevant. What is important is the underlying
devices. (FWIW, xmms doesn't work either.)

But thanks for the suggestions.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ