my CD doesn't work

Bryce plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:41:22 -0700

In your fstab, take the loop out of the options part.

Bryce C.
Network Administrator / Scripting Consultant
CoBryce Communications
Bryce@BryceCo.Net
http://www.BryceCo.Net

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Lynn
David Newton
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 12:53 AM
To: Phoenix Linux Users Group
Subject: my CD doesn't work

Group,

Three days ago I upgraded my OS from RH7.1 to RH7.2.
Now I can't access my CD drive. Here is what I have
figured out so far, and I'm at a dead end.

The first sign something was wrong was when I couldn't
listen to audio CDs. I can't mount data disks either.

o I have an ordinary CD drive and a CD burner.

o The CD burner (a Plextor PX-W8432T) is the master on
  the second IDE port and the ordinary 52X CD is the
  slave. This means that I use the burner to boot the
  OS CD from, and to do installations. I don't remember
  why I had to set it up that way, but it worked for a
  long time.

  Here is what my IDE setup looks like:

  $ for i in hd[a-d]; do echo "---- $i ----"; ide_info $i; done
  ---- hda ----
  MODEL="WDC WD204BA"
  FW_REV="16.13M16"
  SERIAL_NO="WD-WMA071064891"
  ---- hdb ----
  open() failed: No such device or address
  ---- hdc ----
  MODEL="PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T"
  FW_REV="1.05"
  SERIAL_NO=""
  ---- hdd ----
  MODEL="ATAPI 52X CDROM"
  FW_REV="VER-1.40"
  SERIAL_NO=""

  $ ls -l /dev/cdrom
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root lnewton 3 Jun 7 2001 /dev/cdrom -> hdd

  (Note that I've got only one drive in the system. The
  slave position on port 0 is open.) This stuff all
  appears correct.

o I can't mount a normal CD drive. I tried it with the
  RH7.2 installation disk.

  # grep cdrom /etc/fstab
  /dev/cdrom     /cdrom      iso9660 noauto,user,ro,loop 0 0
  /dev/cdrom1    /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

  # mount /cdrom
  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
         or too many mounted file systems

  I *can* mount them on my burner

o When I put an audio CD in it won't play.

o cdparanoia -Q on a known good commercial audio cd
  produces this:

  ... output deleted ..
  /dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  ...
  ... output deleted ..
  Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
	  Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
		  Device /dev/hdd is not a CDROM
	  Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
		  /dev/cdrom is not a SCSI device

o I *can* burn copies on my burner (/dev/hda)

  Tonight when I made an audio CD, the CD player client
  (gtcd) popped up and tried to play it. The counter
  was working, and it showed the right number of
  tracks. Of course, this is not selected as my audio
  device, so there was no sound.

That's as far as I got. Can someone throw me a hint?

Thanks very much.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ