mysql -- Anybody want to guess at this one?

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:15:46 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Roderick Ford on 3/29/2002 13:03 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ any mysql commands to connect or get status (i.e. mysqladmin version)
\_ produce the following two lines:
\_
\_ ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
\_ '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
\_
\_
\_ chkconfig shows mysqld is on
\_ ps -el  shows safe_mysqld and mysqld are running
\_
\_
\_ perhaps mysql.sock did not get opened ??
\_ or, vmware interferes ??
\_ or...
\_
\_ i'm at a loss...what do you think I should check?  it used to work.

check for a /etc/my.cnf; it might specify an alter local socket or
other amusements;

make sure that /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock exists and looks pipish.

I think the build docs someplace say how you can build mysql without
local unix sockets.

Try connecting ala:

mysqladmin -h 127.1 -u root -p ....

And see if the network version is alive and kicking.

David