Looking for headless RedHat install info

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:47:05 -0700 (MST)

Am 28. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Tom Ward so:

> I've got an old pentium PC that I'd like to setup as a headless server
> with RedHat 7.2.   I seached Google and linuxdoc.org, but not found any
> good docs.  I don't want a keyboard, mouse, video card or monitor, but
> will use one to start with if I must.  So far this is just frustrating.
>   Has anyone got a good reference  for this?

Unless the bios supports a serial interface you'll need a video card. If
it's an old PC workstation you'll have to have the video card just to get it
to boot. Some old cheesy video card will work fine.

For the install you'll need the video card, a keyboard and a monitor. Do a
normal install and don't install X.

There should be an example entry in /etc/inittab to turn on a serial
console. Uncomment that and tell init to reload the inittab and you'll have
a serial console. You can then connect to that from another serial port with
a null modem cable. Using kermit, minicom or a host of others you can get to
the login prompt on the headless box.

ssh and friends works, of course, once you've got the box on the network.
Install the base X clients to enable X11 forwarding over ssh.

Someone mentioned a serial install or something for RedHat or Mandrake
recently. I think it was RedHat 7.2. I haven't looked at it, but it might
make things easier and might allow you to install via the serial port, which
means you don't need the monitor and keyboard just the null modem cable
another computer.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  This line intentionally left blank.
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans