Nic setup

Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:48:24 -0700 (MST)

Am 26. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Bruner, Andrew so:

> Can someone give me the steps to adding a 3c509 to a linux box? The 3c509
> card is an isa card.

Look at the following pacakges:

3c5x9utils - Configuration and diagnostic utils for 3Com 5x9 cards.
nictools-nopci - Diagnostic tools for many non-PCI ethernet cards

'modprobe 3c509' might do it for you, but you can use the utils from
3c5x9utils to configure IRQ, etc. for the card. The user interface is
different than the 3c5x9.exe util from 3com, but it does the same stuff.

> Also, are the steps different for a PCI card?

It's easier for a PCI card. Easier to automagically detect and configure PCI
devices than ISA devices. 3c509 is a solid card, though.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.<ThisSpaceAvailable>.com/
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans