Ethernet card speed

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:15:53 -0700 (MST)

Am 26. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Stephen Smith so:

> I have a set of fairly new systems: one at home and one at work.  Both
> systems have the same problem, but I will use the data from the home system.
>
> eth0 is the ethernet device on the mother board.  eth1 is a add-on board.
>
> I have a 10/100MB 3com card in my laptop.  It doesn't seem to matter
> which ethernet card I plug into, I always get a 10MB connection speed.
> The laptop connects just fine at 100MB at work.
>
> How do I get the devices to try and connect at 100MB?

Are they connected directly or via a hub/switch that does 100?

Use the mii tools to watch the negotiation and to see what the driver knows
about. mii-tool came in the net-tools package on debian.

There's also mii-diag, which suggests nictools-pci and nictools-nopci.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.<ThisSpaceAvailable>.com/
#  "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans