Newly installed library not detected

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:56:04 -0700

Don Livingston wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
> In preparation for installing the latest version of PAN newsreader on my
> Mandrake 8.2, I needed to update libxml. So I downloaded the Mandrake
> rpm and installed it with KPackage. Installation seemed to go correctly
> I can now see that libxml.so.1.8.17 is in /usr/lib, and the link
> libxml.so.1 points to it. But when I try ./configure for PAN, the
> configuration script doesn't think it's there. Any ideas on how to get
> the system to see it?

run "rehash"

this will notify the current terminal sesion that you think the state of
the world has changed and it has to re-sync with the OS.

also check to make sure that the lib is in /usr/lib and that /usr/lib is
also in the /etc/ld.so.config file and run ldconfig

this will allow programs to find the librarys without having to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH...

  EBo --