[slightly OT] Advice on becoming an independent contractor

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 08:41:09 -0700

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> I am about to enter into an agreement to work for a
> company as an independent contractor.  I will then
> have to take care of such things as self-employment
> tax, contributions to my IRA, and everything else.

Remember that "everything else" includes vacation pay,
sick pay, marketing time and expenses, etc.  Think
a year or two ahead and try to really scope out how
many paid work days you realistically expect, versus
how many days you will NOT be receiving an income.
Your planning, and your pricing, need to reflect this.
Marketing yourself into your NEXT job while still having
time to finish your CURRENT job is a tricky dance.

You might want to look at http://www.1099.com/ -- I saw
it recommended once but have not taken the time to
dig through it.  It is no longer being updated but looks
like it might have some good stuff.

Me, I'm a W-2 kind of guy.

Vic