Urgent: Copy hda to hdb with dd?

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:41:37 -0500

The urgent need has past but this is turning into an interesting learning experience.

Let me wind the time clock back for those that care to follow.

Situation: Four identical computers assembled from identical components.
Goal: Install Windows 2000 with NTFS and all the same apps on all the computers.
Plan: Install everything on one computer then duplicate that drive to the other three drives that way configuration and installation only has to happen once.

The hard drive manufacturer's downloadable tool for cloning drives will not work on Windows 2000.  This was discovered after first hard drive was nearly completely setup.

Solution idea: Install the finished hard drive and a blank one in the same computer (hda and hdb) and use LNX-BBC, running Linux on the CD and using the "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb" command to copy the drives.

This solution depended on LNX-BBC being able to handle NTFS and DMA-100, 40GB drives (and me being smart enough to do the command correctly).

Result: After five hours it was deamed to have taken too long (DMA-100 IDE drives on a 1.6GHZ PC) and the command was aborted.  When the formally fully installed drive was allowed to boot the computer, Windows 2000 complained about a paging file that was missing or too small.  This error could not be recovered from using all usual automated repair methods provided by MS.

Booting LNX-BBC again I noted that I had to load the NTFS driver before I could mount the partition.  I did not load the driver before doing the dd command, assuming that dd acted on the media, not the file system (wrong assumption?).  Mounting the NTFS partition on the now bad drive worked fine and key directories and files appeared intact.

At this point I don't know what went wrong but, given the opportunity to try again I would:
-Follow Bill's advice below and connect the drives as hda and hdc.
-Load the NTFS driver before attempting the dd command.
-Give the process more time.

AND, before the next attempt, I will have studied the dd command more!

Sorry, that came out much longer than I intended!  I welcome any edificating comments.

Alan