Urgent: Copy hda to hdb with dd?

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
23 Mar 2002 20:43:11 -0700

I have done this many times, although not in quite some time.  there
should not have been any trouble with it messing up the first drive at
all.  You also should not have it mounted when you do it or it will boot
fist time and say it is an unclean system and run fsck.

I saw in a hack Tivo site that someone hacked a progress meter into dd
because this was one of the only ways to backup the tivo hard drives
when they first started hacking them.

it does take along time.  one suggestin I would have is put them on
sperate busses hda->hdb not the best hda->hdc would be much better and
about twice as fast.

if you fear causeing issues with destroying your primary drive then log
in as root with your boot disk and make a user.  make sure the user only
has read access to hda and give him full access to hdc.

hope this helps some

Bill Warner

On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 15:40, alandd@mindspring.com wrote:
> Thanks, Richard.  I let it go for 5 hours and stopped it.  After
> stopping it, the original drive was messed up!
>
> Why?  Possibilities:
> -I was making a mirror image of a brand new Windows 2000 install with
> the NTFS file system.
> -I did not mount the file systems (I did not think I needed to).
> -They are DMA-100 IDE drives on a 1.6GHZ computer.  Maybe LNX-BBC cannot
> handle this hardware.
>
> Anyway, I am attempted to re-build from square one my original master
> drive.  Not a successful experiment and I don't have time to try again.
> Maybe another day.
>
> Alan
>
> PS I am helping setup some Windows 2000 workstations for a friend of
> mine.  It pays so I can use Windows when there is money involved!
>
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:10:44 -0700 Richard Daggett
> <richard-daggett@daggettdesign.com> wrote:
>
> I have done this with 9GB SCSI drives with no issues,  for 9GB drives it
> takes about 30-45Min.
>
> Richard

Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.