PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #2068 - 15 msgs

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 05:17:39 +0000

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:08:00 -0700 (MST)
> From: "der.hans" <PLUGd@LuftHans.com>
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> Subject: module deps, was Re: PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #2060 - 15 msgs
>
> Am 19. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Craig S. so:
>
> > > From: "der.hans" <PLUGd@LuftHans.com>
>
> > > Do a 'uname -r' to make sure your kernel thinks it's 2.4.18.
>
> Is your kernel listing as 2.4.18?

yes, when I select the 2.4.18 kernel from lilo it is booted and seen as the proper version.

> > > What's the timestamp on modules.dep?
> >
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     root           0 Mar 19 00:34 modules.dep
>
> Hmm, size of zero is bad.
>
> Try running 'depmod -a' by hand as root and see if that file changes.

nope, I even tried removing the file and recompiling the kernel with the make modules and make modules_install commands. Filesize comes up as zero still.

I checked my 2.2.16 modules.dep file and it shows about 30k for filesize.

> > > Was it created after the kernel looked
> > > for it?
> >
> > I assume by this you mean the timestamp on the kernel image bzImage.
>
> Actually, I meant the modules.dep. You answer that below, though.
>
> > rc.modules calls depmod -a before any modules are loaded by it. I think
> > rc.modules runs right after rc.S in the startup process.
>
> OK. Is the filesystem mounted r/w when 'depmod -a' is run? Is it out of
> space? Do your boot logs show any errors? Check /var/log/* and the output
> from 'dmesg'.

Ok, shell scripting isn't a real strong point of mine right now but if scripts are like C++ or Java programs that run from the first line of main to the last then the file-system is read-only while rc.modules is run.

dmesg doesn't give me much, this is strange because at startup I clearly see the messages about my modules failing to load at startup, but there is nothing about my modules in dmesg or any of the log files.

/var/log/system did give me a interesting message until I recompiled the kernel.

Before kernel recompile -

Inspecting /boot/System.map
no module symbols loaded

After recompiling the kernel -

loaded 164128 symbols from /boot/System.map
Symbols match kernel version 2.4.18

I have been doing some reading about these problems online. All the solutions in archived usenet posts and people's own fixes suggested recompiling the kernel. I tried that and am still no closer to solving the missing module mystery.

According to the kernel changes doc I need egcs 2.91.66 (which I believe I have) or gcc 2.95.3.

The reason why I think I have egcs setup as my compiler is when I do a locate on gcc I get this:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/egcs-2.91.66

I have read quite a few usenet posts that suggest using gcc over egcs for kernel compiles. So I downloaded gcc 2.95.3 The other day and was planning to install the compiler tomorrow and try to compile with gcc instead of egcs.

Craig S.