Windows Internet Connection Sharing

Bryce plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:03:03 -0700

On my headless firewall/router, I just changed the halt on errors to all
except keyboard.

Bryce C.
Network Administrator / Scripting Consultant
CoBryce Communications
Bryce@BryceCo.Net
http://www.BryceCo.Net

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of George
Toft
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 5:06 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Windows Internet Connection Sharing

Victor Odhner wrote:

> George Toft wrote:
> > ... the only time I have had problems in a reboot
> > was when the power cord was pulled.  The next
> > reboot had some problems, but I didn't detect
> > them for over a day.  I was still able to log
> > in, did an init 6, and then all was fine.
>
> I may be confused here:  Doesn't Init 6 bring up
> the network?  So how did you log in to do that?
> Or was that when you had to hook up a keyboard?

Look in /etc/inittab:
# The default runlevel is defined here
id:3:initdefault:

This shows the normal runlevel is 3.  The runlevels are defined:
# runlevel 0  is  System halt   (Do not use this for initdefault!)
# runlevel 1  is  Single user mode
# runlevel 2  is  Local multiuser without remote network (e.g. NFS)
# runlevel 3  is  Full multiuser with network
# runlevel 4  is  Not used
# runlevel 5  is  Full multiuser with network and xdm
# runlevel 6  is  System reboot (Do not use this for initdefault!)

Because of some differences between Linux and Solaris (ie, the shutdown
command in Linux is the same as init 0, but means init 1 in Solaris), I
use init 0 to shutdown or init 6 to reboot a box.

Issuing the init command can be done remotely.  The only problem
is if your BIOS requires a keyboard while doing the Power On Self Test
(mine did - it was a 1991 IBM PS/1).

George