using csh

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:38:18 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth lynn.newton@cox.net on 3/21/2002 13:14 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Greetings,
\_
\_ I'd like to take a brief survey. I'm in process of desigining, writing, and revising some courseware for Cisco Networking Academy, to make it far more Linux-oriented. It used to be heavily Solaris slanted because it was created under a partnership with Sun.
\_
\_ My question briefly is this: How many of you all use csh on a
\_ regular basis, as opposed to bash, ksh, or one of the others
\_ provided?

I'll vote for csh.  Technically, I'm using tcsh, but it's right
close.  Although I've farted around with the perlshell and just found
a link off to eshell, tcsh is grandfathered in since back in '88 when
it was either csh or sh, and there was a vast difference in
usability.

\_ I'd like to have your opinions on this, so I don't make any
\_ ill-founded recommendations. (I'm planning on recommending they cut
\_ out the part on csh in their introductory shell chapters.)

Depending on space, I'd leave it in.  It'll help someone someplace
notice that 'hey, this isn't bash, and I recognize it'.  Of course,
then they'll go ahead and type bash at the csh prompt....

David