using csh

Mike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:24:12 -0500

when possible, I use it.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:14:59PM -0500, lynn.newton@cox.net wrote:
 Greetings,

 I'd like to take a brief survey. I'm in process of desigining, writing, and revising some courseware for Cisco Networking Academy, to make it far more Linux-oriented. It used to be heavily Solaris slanted because it was created under a partnership with Sun.

 My question briefly is this: How many of you all use csh on a regular basis, as opposed to bash, ksh, or one of the others provided? csh is provided by default (at least in RH), but possibly because my background and the environment I did most of my work in for many years was all AT&T SysV and then AIX oriented, I tend to think that very few of the Linux users I know actually use and prefer csh, unless they came from a Solaris environment originally. But perhaps that's just my biased slant on things.

 I'd like to have your opinions on this, so I don't make any ill-founded recommendations. (I'm planning on recommending they cut out the part on csh in their introductory shell chapters.)