Local daycare center wants to set up row of educational desktops.

Mark Berkwitt plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:30:00 -0700

The average age of these children is 8 years.  The range of ages is from 5
to 11 years.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of
der.hans
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 12:04 PM
To: PLUG
Subject: Re: Local daycare center wants to set up row of educational
desktops.

Am 20. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Mark Berkwitt so:

> The owner of a childcare center in the near west side Phoenix area has
> expressed interest in providing a computer experience to his clients'
> children.  All of these children come from disadvantaged homes where
> computers are unlikely.
> I'm posting this to send out feelers for suggestions of:
>
> 1. where to get possible hardware donations perhaps from corporatations
> upgrading their pc's.

www.strut.org. Looks like that's for .or, but there's a .az branch as well.
There are a couple of other orgs, I'll have to search my archives.

> 2. what kind of hardware configurations are best (ie. 1 server, clients
w/o
> hdd's).
> 3. recommended software for early teen & preteen.

There are several Linux projects aimed at children. Jim was touting a new
organization that's meant to be an umbrella for all the others. I forget
what it is.

How old are the kids in the childcare?

This sounds like a good project for AZOTO if the daycare is willing to run
Linux/*BSD.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.<ThisSpaceAvailable>.com/
# ... make it clear I support "Free Software" and not "Open Source",