internet ready box at fry's ?

Cap Bateman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:32:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike" <meg@lilly.csoft.net>
To: "plug" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 4:20 PM
Subject: internet ready box at fry's ?

> My assistant just brought me a sale paper from fry's.
> There is an Ad on the front page for a Internet Ready
> Multi media PC for 249.00. It says it's running Linux 1.3
> and is upgradeable to WinXP.
>
> Anyone know anything about this? More specifically, Linux 1.3?

Mike,

I bought one of those yesterday. The Linux 1.3 is an x-window shell from
someone called
Fast Windows. It includes Netscape's browser, kmail and a few games. As
sold, it's basically an internet
appliance, with no way to tweak anything. The video is stuck at 640x480, but
setting up a connection
via the onboard nic was a breeze. I can only assume the modem setup is as
easy.

I've already erased the HD and installed win98se for my wife and tonight I'm
going to install
a Mandrake distro for myself.

Let me know if you want any of the technical specs on the box.

Cap Bateman
dbateman@sprintmail.com

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message.
However, a few electrons may have been inconvienced.