Gentoo demo

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:15:46 -0700

* dennisk@sahuaro.f2s.com (dennisk@sahuaro.f2s.com) wrote:
> Nice presentation by Gotran last night! But I have one question. When I
> left at 10:30 the machine was still compiling. When did it finish? <g>

You've pointed out the only wrinkle in the process... it does take a while
to bootstrap gcc, binutils, glibc, et. al.  It's ultimately a factor of
your processor, ram, disk etc.

I actually stopped the bootstrap near completion (~10:30), it had been
running for 2 hrs.  building all the base system after that takes another
couple hours on that 700Mhz sellenron.  But fortunately you can leave it
to its own devices.  Building a system overnight works nicely.

End of the month is release time, and I believe a cd with prebuild
binaries will be available.

Thanks for the complement Dennis.  I'd like to thank the mystery man for
picking up the PLUG bartab last night.  Righteous!

(See what you all missed?)

Gontran