Email Password Authentication Issue

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Mar 2002 08:40:24 -0700

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 20:15, Chicalinux wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am having the following issue.  I recently signed on with MSN Broadband
> DSL.  They do not support Linux but thanks God and some good books I made it
> to work flawlessly.   However, I do not have access to email/newsgroups
> because they use a method of secure authentication called "Secure Password
> Authentication" or something like that.  It is not like CHAP/SSL.  It is
> different and the email clients that I use do not support it: Kmail,
> Evolution, Sylpheed...  I think it has something to do with the .net password
> authentication protocol.
>
> Do any of you guys know anything about this and if Linux has or is developing
> support for this?  Any response will be greatly appreciated.  I am so in the
> dark :-)

----
it very likely does have something to do with their 'passport' / '.net'
but it should be accessible by any OS...I would imagine searching the
net might come up with some clues for this.

Evolution has a very cool way of checking against the authentication
server - mail settings / select your account / edit / receiving mail /
there is a button called check supported types of login.

Craig