debian question

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:43:02 -0700

"bob smith" <sekretskwerl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been looking around the debian site at the
> different releases (stable, testing, and unstable) but
> I'm a little confused about what kernels are included.
> It seems that the 2.2r5 or Joel Klecker release
> contains the 2.2.19 kernel. Does this mean that you
> then should go to a site such as kernel.org and
> download 2.4.18?

Assuming you've got apt set up, you can update to a newer pre-built kernel
via "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686" (or whatever you prefer). To
see what's available, you can do "apt-cache search kernel-image".

If you're after source, you can do "apt-get install kernel-source-<version>"
if you like. Of course, you can download the latest from kernel.org and
build it from there as well.

I only recently realized that using a .deb puts the "working" .config in
/boot (i.e. /boot/config-24.18-686) if you want to use that as a basis for
kernel tweaking. I wish I'd known that a couple of months ago when trying to
figure out what was required to get VLAN support working!

- Bob
 ("unstable")