iptables (was port forwading)

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:00:41 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Carl Parrish on 3/18/2002 14:35 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 12:48, Kevin Brown wrote:
\_ > > > Or ipchains is already loaded and so you can't load iptables.
\_ > > >
\_ > > > lsmod
\_ > >
\_ > > Ahhhh yeah ipchain *is* loaded (didn't know you couldn't have them both
\_ > > loaded). hmmm so does that mean that I *do* have to rewrite all my
\_ > > ipchain rules or can I run ipchain rules under iptables?? I seem to
\_ > > remember someone somewhere saying that there was backward compatbility
\_ >
\_ > I believe (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that by default the RH kernels
\_ > have both ipchains and ipfwadm compatibility support builtin.  I would recommend
\_ > rewriting your rules any ways.
\_ >
\_ Uh doesn't look like it so far. iptables did *not* like the ipchain
\_ commands. I wanted to save rewriting the rules until a weekend as I have
\_ a *lot* of rules. So for now I think I'll keep looking for ipchins
\_ compatibility thanks for all your help though. (i'm *much* closer than I
\_ was this mornging

The biggest thing is that the chains are named slightly differently

input (ipchains) vs INPUT (iptables)

which I occassionally still overlook until it coughs on me.

David