RH7.2 install weirdness

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:52:52 -0700

> > Thanks for the offer, but I won't be able to make it to the meeting.  I was able
> > to make some progress by attaching an unused external SCSI drive to one of the
> > Adaptec cards.  I set up the partitions on the external drive how I'm gonna want
> > the array setup.  I'm hoping that I can then just dd one partition to another
> > after building a working kernel with the Mylex controller builtin.
>
> This is what I was going to suggest (except using an IDE drive instead of
> an external SCSI drive).  Finish the install so you can play around with
> the system without the confining straight-jacket install program.  Don't
> bother with dd, use cp -a instead, then the partitions don't have to be
> exactly the same.  Then you can choose any kernel you want to get the RAID
> array operational.
>
> Study up on GRUB.  You will need to understand it in order to tell GRUB
> where you've moved the new kernel and root partition for booting.

OK, I currently have a bootable floppy that loads the smp kernel and can now
boot to the drive on the Adaptec controller (for some reason it won't boot
straight from the drive).  cat /proc/pci and see the Mylex controller listed
there (I'm assuming this means the kernel knows it's there and can use it).  Now
my next problem, how do I figure out the names of the two "drives" that are on
it so I can begin formatting them.

/dev/sda is the name of the drive on the adaptec.  Thought maybe /dev/rd/c0d0
would be a drive on the Mylex, but fdisk says there isn't a device there.