my cox experience :-)

Mike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:48:10 -0500

Just thought I would share my experience thus far w/cox:

Last week I finally jumped off the cliff and told cox
(already had tv) to fire up the data side. They came out,
had to run a wire to my office (house was poorly cabled),
and then dropped off the cable modem as I said I would do
a self install.

Had already built a OpenBSD box at work the day before,
complete with IPSec working (in a lab environment). Powered
on the box, did a 'dhclient $ext_if' and poof I was done.
Fired up isakmpd and my new pf rules (was a bit tough getting used
to pfctl on 3.0).

Within 15 minutes I had a tunnel to work (IPSec), and was off and
running. No problems, no complaints.

I have subscribed to this list for a couple years, and have
heard numerous horror stories about getting connected. Now, granted,
I do not use their SMTP or POP, or DNS servers. Take those out
of the equation, and I have a fine connection with nothing
to complain about.

See my next post for a problem I am having with some pf rules.

v/r
Mike