PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #2053 - 14 msgs

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:01:37 +0000

> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:36:50 -0800 (PST)
> From: bob smith <sekretskwerl@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: now what :)?
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us

well according to my slackware reference book that is one use for tagfiles. It appears that they can be used to restore broken packages("The original tagfiles  for each software series are stored as tagfile.org. So if you mess up yours, you can restore the original one.")

I was thinking that the tagfiles could be used to track upgrades or changes to packages by comparing the contents of the new package to the original.

Hmm after reading the original I just realized that I should be discussing kernel module dependencies. Rack one mistake up to talking when tired to the bone.

Well I know with slackware 7.1 and up a command called depmod will list dependencies for kernel loaded modules.

I used this to figure out that my PPP module was broken one time. Normally when depmod is run I think it is supposed to return nothing. If something is returned then something is broken inside the module.

Craig S.