Cox and E-smith

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 06:06:15 -0700

Does Cox need to know NIC machine address of the external NIC or anything
like that?  E-Smith uses RH 7.1 as a base.  I was really surprised to learn
Cox is charging $6.95 to have a second box on line.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Parrish" <cparrish@cox.net>
To: "Plug-discuss" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 1:31 AM
Subject: Re: Cox and E-smith

Tom I'm not using E-Smith but I am running mulitple boxes on cox with
only one cox ip address. if E-Smith is using a kernal that has ipchains
/ iptables on it it shouldn't be too hard just set up ipforwarding and
ipmasq on the firewall script. Hmmm you may want to check out these
howTos

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/index.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html

They should get you up in running (for me it was longer to read the
HowTos than it was to set up and config everything)

Carl P.

On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 17:14, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> I'm setting up an E-Smith server on my parents Cox system.  Knowing
nothing of how to set up a Cox system (I was surprised to find out that they
are  being charged $6.95 a month to have a second computer on line.)  Anyone
on the list know how I need to configure the e-smith for Cox?  It has
version 5.0 on it.