now what :)?

Lowell Hamilton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
16 Mar 2002 09:24:15 -0700

W00 another slackware junkie :>

For starters, the 2.4.5 kernel comes on the 8.0 cd ... so mount the CD
(/etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom mounts it on /cdrom) and in the slakware/k1
directory run pkgtool and it runs the same menu-driven setup program as
when you installed the system ... choose installing the 2.4.5 kernel
source.  If you want to install the 2.4.5 kernel right away off their
source, in the slakware/a1 directory are i245.tgz or sc245.gz (ide or
scsi 2.4.5 kernel (with reiserfs and all the goodies enabled).

For keeping current on software, got to http://www.linuxpackages.net
(which runs the software archive for linuxmafia.org now, ) ... you can
grab updated packages.  The only thing about slackware that you dont'
have in rpm/deb driven systems is dependency checking, so read the
release notes (sometimes you have to upgrade)... upgrading things like
the compiler will always be painful, but 99% of application upgrades are
a piece of cake :>  For software that doesn't have a package built, the
old ./configure && make && make install routine is painless on slackware
boxen.

If you're really daring, check out slaktool, which aims to add rpm/deb
like functionality (dependency, apt-get, etc) to slackware packages and
a more friendly gui interface (it's in alpha-land though)

Lowell