cox and accessibility

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
15 Mar 2002 11:53:10 -0700

Actually mozilla was a complete rewrite. The netscape architecture
wasn't based on the mozilla development platform for the simple reason
that it wasn't invented yet. A about two years ago the decision was made
that we wouldn't even support the Netscape proprietery tags. That didn't
end up lasting as enough web developers complained. So now out of the
box mozilla doesn't support netscape 4.x tags (such as layers) but you
can set it to with the correct DTD and mods. I hear that there is also a
group trying to do the same for IE tags but that's not part of the core
mozilla. IE 4.0 for mac was about 90% standards compliant. IE 5.5 was
about 80% and IE 6.0 is about 75% compliant that's why I said they are
getting further and further away from the standards IE thinks they have
won the browser war so they don't have to follow the standards (ok that
last bit was my personal opinion and probably should be here). For
accessibility check out
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ui/accessibility/.
I'm going to have to admit that I don't really know much about those
projects but I've heard some pretty impressive things buzzed about. And
several mozdev projects dealing with Voice recognition will proably make
the mozilla 1.5 release (though you don't have to wait you can grap the
code from mozdev.org).

Carl P.