cox and accessibility

Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:26:53 -0700 (MST)

Am 14. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Lee Einer so:

> Cox really is pitching Windows, Outlook and IE hard, I'll give you
> that. Personally, I find it to be pretty abrasive, but I think that if
> we complain to governmental agencies, we are likely to get absolutely
> no action, and will also increase the resistance of Cox's management
> to the idea of Linux.

I'm not planning on saying anything about Linux. I'm gonna say that those
two browsers are not available to me ( they aren't on my iPAQ ).

They have made a 'business decision' to require those two browsers. Do you
really think they're gonna listen to my complaint? Do you think I'll even
get a chance to talk to someeone who could change their policy? I don't.

> Could we pitch Cox in a positive way? Cox would certainly have more
> subscribers if they presented themselves as Linux-friendly-- they just
> have to understand this and be presented with a way to do it that is
> easily implemented and somewhere between cheap and free. I think the
> bottom line for Cox is that they don't want to have to provide
> technical support for a multitude of OSs and browsers- but they might
> be enticed into posting a Linux user newsgroup for such tech issues,
> with the usual disclaimers, and/or a Linux Users FAQ page(and perhaps
> advance notice when they plan to monkey around with their DNS
> servers... ?) Maybe there's a better way to go about it, but I think
> that presenting Cox with a way to attract users in the Linux community
> without increasing their expenses is probably the most likely route to
> success. If such a proposal was presented under the auspices of a
> group such as PLUG rather than by an individual, it would probably
> also be more likely to receive serious consideration.

I would like to see them be more Linux friendly. Because of their gov't
granted monopoly, I think they have an obligation to at least not interfere
with people running Linux.

The Linux community can take care of the documentation and support issues
itself. What cox has to do is publicly allow it to be used.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/