cox and accessibility

Lee Einer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:40:59 -0700

Hi, all-

Cox really is pitching Windows, Outlook and IE hard, I'll give you
that. Personally, I find it to be pretty abrasive, but I think that if
we complain to governmental agencies, we are likely to get absolutely
no action, and will also increase the resistance of Cox's management
to the idea of Linux.

Could we pitch Cox in a positive way? Cox would certainly have more
subscribers if they presented themselves as Linux-friendly-- they just
have to understand this and be presented with a way to do it that is
easily implemented and somewhere between cheap and free. I think the
bottom line for Cox is that they don't want to have to provide
technical support for a multitude of OSs and browsers- but they might
be enticed into posting a Linux user newsgroup for such tech issues,
with the usual disclaimers, and/or a Linux Users FAQ page(and perhaps
advance notice when they plan to monkey around with their DNS
servers... ?) Maybe there's a better way to go about it, but I think
that presenting Cox with a way to attract users in the Linux community
without increasing their expenses is probably the most likely route to
success. If such a proposal was presented under the auspices of a
group such as PLUG rather than by an individual, it would probably
also be more likely to receive serious consideration.

What do you think?

--
Lee Einer

http://members.cox.net/appealsman/