RH7.2 install weirdness

Thu, 14 Mar 2002 00:02:30 -0700 (MST)

Am 12. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Sundar so:

> I always had problems installing Debian on RAID array, but I always had
> a smooth ride with RH. Try it out. It could be other way round for you.
> SuSE is also really good about supporting RAID.

Thou spekest heresy. debian could have no problems. debian is the way.

> (I know there are lot of Debian zealots on the list. This just happens
> to be my experience)

We are no zealots. We are deciples! Thau shalt be burned in the July sun.

:)

I've had issues with Linux and hardware RAID controllers in general. Once
you understand the requirements, it's easy, though.

The 'compact' kernel has support for the cards we have at work. It does seem
foolish that the stripped down install kernel has the driver, but that's the
way it is :).

With woody the first several CDs of the dist are bootable with different
kernels. Disk 2 has the 'compact' kernel. CD 3 has 2.4.x kernel with ext3
and reiserfs support.

RH 6.2 and 7.2 had default support for the cards. There is that issue with
the 7.2 hanging because there was a mouse hooked up....

debian's far from perfect, but we're working on it :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/