March Meeting Presentations

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:32:48 -0500

What caught my attention was it was running KDE, implying runlevel 5.
No need to have gpm running in runlevel 5.  Yes it was minor, but
so is having the iPlanet splash page on a URL in a corporation.  It
is not a problem per se, but indicates a lack of attention in the
configuration of a machine, which makes it an easier target.

Next was portmapper and sendmail.  Having sendmail indicates this is
a mail server.  I shy away from having portmapper (or any r* services)
on any server w/o a good firewall or two between it and the Internet.

My philosophy is that no machine should rely soly upon a firewall for
protection - they should be able to stand alone for a short period
of time in case the firewall is compromised.  You do have an Intrusion
Detection System on your firewall, right?  IMHO, those $100 appliances
that Linksys sells are good for the average home user, but for us
more informed Linux weenies, we should set up a better firewall that
includes an IDS.  Another opinion: no workstation should accept
traffic sent to it unless that traffic is a response to something it
initiated.  Third opinion: no production server whould be used as a
workstation.

Regards,

George