CD burner software

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 22:02:25 -0700

"Lee Einer" <appealsman@cox.net> wrote:

> I run the now-defunct Corel linux, and CDParanoia came with the
> distro, but I am frankly offput by

It's not very pretty, but I do like the simplicity of the command line
tools. I just recently had some good experiences with cdrecord for dup'ing
data discs.

> 1). Having to log in as Root to use the thing and

Typically a permissions issue. Make sure normal user account is member of a
group with appropriate rights to the device.

> 2) Having to create a separate partition and save an image of the CD
> therein prior to burning it.

I assume based on #2 that you have two CD drives? You can copy directly with
cdrecord by specifying it as the source file to burn from (i.e. /dev/scd1).
With burnproof enabled, it worked perfectly with a 32X CD-R unit, even
slowing down to wait for the slower CD-ROM with no coasters burnt.

> What software do you recommend for burning CDs?

Are you doing audio or data CDs? Trying to copy, or build you own? I used
the GUI-based XCDroast and liked it a while back.

- Bob