Router-Gateway-Firewall solution for less than 150??

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 09 Mar 2002 07:54:39 -0500

1.  Get an old 486 or low end pentium.  retrobox.com
has them for $15-30.
2.  Get two nics.  $25
3.  Download a floppy-based linux router.  Config
and go.  I have some LRP images that work.  LRP is
based on Debian, and is a bitch to set up, however,
my images work (that's why I posted them - no, not
because I'm a Linux Guru, but because LRP is a bitch).
Others on the list have suggested Coyote, and I'm sure
you'll hear more.
4.  Get a hub and some cables.  $50.  I've seen
Network in a box that has NIC's, cables, hub for $80.

The really hard part after that is to set up your
Windows box to use your Linux Router as the default
gateway (no dhcp) and manually configure your DNS
entries for your resolver.  Same thing for your Linux
box.  Wait, this part isn't hard.

George