Favorite WAP Unit?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08 Mar 2002 17:35:08 -0700

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 16:52, Nick Estes wrote:

> > My only hands-on (no pun intended) experience with WAP and WAP units has
> > been with the Linksys WAP.  For some reason it would not fully cover a 800
> > sqare foot condo.  Is this just a problem with the Linksys models?  Does
> > anyone have any recommendations?  Im looking at trying another brand WAP in
> > my house and at a good size office suite.
>
> You have a few options...
>
> - - replace the antenna on the Linksys with a better one
> - - get an access point with a higher transmit power.
> - - put in more access points to increase your coverage
>
> The antenna is the cheapest option, but depending on your situation, it
> may not have the coverage you need anyway.  The option I would lean
> towards is multiple access points.  Again, how many depends on the
> building they're going into, but if your current coverage is almost
> enough, then just put up another AP in the area with weak coverage.  Also
> make sure that APs with overlapping coverage are seperated by at least 5
> channels.
>
> If your condo is more than one story, then the antenna option is definatly
> not the way to go, because they will get the extra gain by not
> transmitting as much up and down which would suck pretty bad for the floor
> the AP isn't on.

-----
This is an interesting topic because 10 days ago, I tried to set a
Linksys wireless up at a extremely large house in Estancia (Troon
North). The house obviously is made of stone/clay tiles/multi-level and
he also wanted coverage in his office (a separate building) and his
guest house (another separate building). Even with the Wireless Base
located in strategic places on his roof, signal strength sucked if it
registered at all and I was gonna post up about replacing the antenna or
perhaps even going to one of the Lucent Wireless on steroid deals to
cover this place with some signal. Lucent has a number of outdoor rated
antennae that apparently can cover many miles on direct line of sight.

Does anyone have any suggestions?   Does anyone want to get involved in
this job for compensation?

Craig