DNS Server woes

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:47:02 -0800 (PST)

Since they're almost certainly running BIND, this has little to do with
"Linux", per se.  How much experience have you had with BIND?  If not
much, then you'll want to pick up a book on it real soon, or at least have
Google nearby as a reference.  You'll want to locate named.conf (the main
config file) and find where they store their zone files.  It's probably
located at /etc/named.conf.  Look for a line near the top that has:

options {
        directory "/var/named";

This directory stores your zone files.  Your zone files contain the
forward name-to-IP mappings and possibly the reverse too, if this company
owns their own IP block and manages it themselves.  Like most *nix things,
there's nothing really complicated about BIND, as long as you know how it
works.  ;-)
And in a worse case scenerio, you could probably post any questions you
have to this list and we might be able to help (although Google has yet to
let me down).
~M