flame-bait contra Re: anti dot-net spew

Wed, 6 Mar 2002 02:01:10 -0700 (MST)

Am 05. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Kevin Brown so:

> TI is going to be producing the Sparc Ultra III for Sun.  Alpha is Dead
> or dying.  AMD is about to (or has) release the Sledgehammer, their
> competitor for the 64-bit world.  Wouldn't surprise me if Motorola got out
> of the Desktop world, but probably not while Apple is selling the systems.
> It's gonna be fun to watch AMD and Intel going head-to-head in the 64-bit
> world.  As long as AMD stays in the market, Intel has nothing to fear from
> Big Bad Uncle Sam coming after it for being a Monopoly, but of course
> Intel hasn't done the things that Microsoft did to get their monopoly (or
> am I wrong?).

Intel has been slapped several times. They've not been as bitchy about
it.  They give much of their tech to other companies rather than exploiting
their monopoly for their own benefit. Certainly many of those companies
benefitting from the free tech feel some sort of gratitude to intel and much
of it needs even more processing power, hence newer boxen... Intel has been
much smarter with their monopoly and they've let some competition in. The
way I understand it the DoJ visits with intel regularly to check up on them.

It took transmeta to get them to build low power, low energy processors. I
think most of it was marketing and not reality, but they respond technically
to competition not with a big-ass marketing and exclusive agreements hammer.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans