Consulting Fees

John Albee plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:02:53 -0700

Derek,

From my experiences I have to agree with seems to be the majority opinion of
the group.  Consultants more often then not save the client significant
amounts of money over full time employees.  Even with the higher pay, the
overhead is signifacantly less for the client considering that they do not
have to worry about taxes, benefits and whatnot.

In addition, a consulting company typically employes people that have
experience in different areas of their field which is another benefit to a
client.  If the company hires an employee, they only have gained the
knowlege of that one employee.  That same client using a consulting company
has access to knowledge of the whole company which is typically greater than
a single individual.

Also, like it or not consultants don't really sell their time, consultants
sell solutions.  Even on a minor repair issue such as the usual fixing of a
windows system, a consultant is selling a solution to their problem (which
takes the form of a non-working windows system).

On a final note, the fee that my company charges clients is very resonable
when you consider a few things.  A few things that I did not see mentioned
by others when speaking of unbillable time include the time invested in
learning about a company and field to better serve their needs, time on
phone with client (well, my company doesn't bill for this) and the time
spent thinking about the clients problems when not in their office.
Finally, individual consultants and consulting companies work incredibly
hard to exceed their clients expectations on a regular basis.  Im sure any
other consultant would agree that there is no such thing as a 9 to 5 day in
the consulting business.

Derek, I hope that you can at least see that consulting is not just computer
work, it is much, much more.

--
John Albee
Active Computing, Inc.