Consulting Fees

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:22:12 -0600 (CST)

> 1. Administration - Execs, secretaries, and accounting do not come for free

So all these one person shops have full time secrectaries?  Give me a
break.

> 2. Down Time - While you accounted for benefits, I don't believe that you
> accounted for time when maybe there is only 30 hours of work available for
> an employee guaranteed 40 hours.

Thats right I dont count this, why should a company pay for you not
working?  If you dont have work to keep you busy get out of the consulting
business.

> 3. Training Costs - Besides adding to down time, training costs money in
> other ways.

Why should they pay for YOUR training, you arent THEIR employee.

> 4. Profit - A company needs to make profit.  If it does not, it cannot grow
> and it cannot weather bumps in the economy.

Um 60,000 a year for an independent consultant seems ok to me, especially
when this list is constantly complaining there is NO WORK IN PHOENIX and
they are resorting to flipping burgers.

> I agree though, more than $125/hr is close to scalping.  Either they are
> scalping, or they are paying their employees (consultants and/or execs) to
> much money.

I call it scalping because people are wanting 100% pay for 60% work.
Thats wrong.  Im not saying my math was perfect but even if you DOUBLED my
40/hr thats 80/hr so how is $125 anything other than gouging?

That said companies are paying that and as long as they do people will
gouge.

-Derek