Consulting Fees

Derek A. Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:07:23 -0700

Just in case no one has done the math

60,000 / 2080 (hours) = 28.85

Now of course there are things like a normal employers benefits (and
their tax contribution to factor in)  So say you figure in 10,000 for
benefits and lump 10% for tax contribution and you are at 77,000 a year
add another 10% for office supplies space etc... and you are at 84,000.

The other way is when you hire someone you figure 30% of salary will be
needed so if the salary is 60,000 72,000 would be the outcome so the
above of 84,000 is pretty high.

84,000 / 2080 (hours) = 40.38

So I am curious to those that give consultants a bad name buy wanting
100 plus an hour.  Do you really think that 60,000 is paltry salary, or
do you expect companies to burden your time without work?

Based on these numbers anything more than 80 an hour is HIGHWAY robbery.
 As you would only be working half a year to earn 60,000 or if working a
full year making 120,000 with full benefits etc included in the
calculation.  I just ask that you re-evaluate bagging on 'the microsoft
tax' if you are charging more than 80 an hour and ask are you charging
'the consultant tax'?

;)

-Derek