anti dot-net spew

Bob Cober plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:55:56 -0700

Here are a few solid points off the top of my head - you are best off
searching the web for articles:

1)  .Net only works on one platform, Windows.  You will be unable to run on
Linux, Solaris, Mac, or any other OS.
2)  .Net is brand new, -there have been no production sites running it over
time.  This means, as with any newly released software, you will have more
bugs and/or security flaws to deal with.  Best to wait at least a few
months.
3)  Also, because .Net is new you have no exisitng base of knowledgeable
talent to recruit from.  The only people who have ".Net Experience" have
been working with a BETA.  Best to wait a few months to let the knowledge
base develop.
4)  Also, because .Net is not established, you take the risk of developing
with it and then having it not catch on.  What happens when MS ditches .Net
and moves on to the next thing.  (Look at MFC).  Best to wait and see how
strong it catches on.

In summary, the risks of being an early .Net adopter far outweigh the pros.
I can see no logical reason whay any manager would want to jump on the .Net
bandwagon this early.  The risks are too big.  Any manager willing to risk
.Net adoption this early is perhaps not the best person to have making
architecture decisions.  If you need Enterprise Level development today, I
would still go J2EE.

Good Luck
Bob