Install emacs on Linux

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 06:44:53 -0700

  Mark> I've just installed linux(Mandrake 8.1) and I'm
  Mark> trying to get emacs installed. Disk 2 of
  Mark> Mandrake 8.1 is in the cdrom and accessible.
  Mark> When I run this command 'rpm -ivh
  Mark> emacs-X11-20.7-17mdk.i586.rpm' I get this error
  Mark> message 'error: failed dependencies: emacs is
  Mark> needed by emacs-X11-20.7-17mdk.i586.rpm'. Any
  Mark> suggestions on how to get Emacs installed would
  Mark> be greatly appreciated.

You might just try building and installing it from
source. I don't know exactly where to get GNU Emacs.
I've been using XEmacs for a very long time, and always
make sure I unselect it whenever I upgrade my OS so I
don't have two conflicting versions out there. (Same
with several other packages, such as Apache, MySQL,
Mozilla, and two or three others.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ