Netsaint

Tony Wasson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:30:51 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "slr" <zen2now@qwest.net>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>; "Lowell Hamilton"
<syz@broken-bit.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 16:38
Subject: Re: Netsaint

> well i was looking to monitor my exchange server, PDC, SQL server, 4 Samba
> servers, 5 webservers, 3 DNS servers, my routers and switches, and 3 MySQL
> servers. in this senario would netsaint be an overkill? i am trying out
ntop
> right now, what is your feeling about this app?
>
> as for NEAT, i check the netsaint.cfg and netsaint_user=contains my
netsaint
> user and not the apacheuser. :~(
>
> slr

I've run NTOP before, and the 1.xx works, but doesn't really do web viewable
reports. I played with 2.xx about 2 months ago, and it crashed daily. I
could have gotten a 'stable' copy from the CVS, but decided to wait a bit. I
was impressed with NTOP, but it eats memory. I liked the fact that I could
'see' active TCP connections on my network and that I could see most active
ports etc. I will try NTOP again in the future. For monitoring, I found the
main utility of NTOP in an overall 'who's sucking the bandwidth' scenario.
If I had the funding, I'd buy InMon's traffic server which polls most
monitorable HP switches for current traffic. It runs on RedHat and includes
probe software which can actually report what's happening in a 1Gbps pipe.

I've used NetSaint + NEAT, and it works well. If you are a whiz at editing
the netsaint.cfg NEAT will hold you back. If you just want to update an IP
address or add a new device once in a while, I think NEAT is great. slr, I
don't think NetSaint is an overkill for your situation. In fact I will
suggest that you look at Cricket to take you NetSaint values and graph them.
Graphs rock! Especially when there is an outage or slowdown, and you can
show your boss, and say 'See? Here's the problem, our SQL box keeps running
out of memory during the slowdowns.'

Tony