Linux at Work

charlie bullen plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:30:18 -0700

This is more of a report that a query, but any suggestions would be
appreciated.

I finally have discovered a workaround for a mission criticle intranet
application. Here is the scenario.

1. Login to page on our intranet.

2. enter either a phone number or extension number

Here is where trouble starts.

3. A page is launched. This page is a frameset, each frame refreshes
seperatley. This separate refreshing works in Mozilla 1.0, Opera 6.0 and I
also got it working in IE 5.5 running under wine. The separate refreshing
doesn't work with Konquerer 3.0.0, both frames freeze.

4. When calls come in, one of the frames lists how many calls are on queue and
the other frame lists the nature of the first call on the queue and gives an
option to either take the call or re queue it to someone else. A sound is
generated when a call comes it. The line in the code that generates the sound
is  some sort of non standard Microsoft thing. The only browser that properly
parses this MS tag is Konquerer, it generates the sound.
(Konquerer also does something that I have only been able to get IE 5.5 to do.
It allows multiple sessions to be opened in separate virtual windows, and
better yet also keeps any windows opened by a page in a particular window to
open in that window independent of what is going on in each other virtual
window)

Here is the work around, I don't need to see the number of calls on queue, so
I login as normal, put in my extension number and then manually launch only
the frame that gives the nature of the call and that allows me to either take
or requeue a call.

I would love to post the HTML code that does all this, but its proprietary and
the owner of the company won't let me show it to out siders.

Anyway thank goodness for the variety of ways of doing things in linux .

Charlie