postgreSQL permission problems

Tom Emerson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:49:19 -0700 (MST)

Mike, how is the postmaster started?  (postmaster is the postgresql
backend server)

There is an option the postmaster needs in order to allow
network connections.

Example, looking at the process list (ps ax):
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /web/pgsql

The "-i" option seen here allows tcp connections, without it, quite a few
of the software's can't connect.  If you don't see this "-i" option, that
may be your problem.

A typical startup command for the postmaster looks like this (but all on
one line!):
su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /web/pgsql