postgreSQL permission problems

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:40:44 -0500

I am attempting to get SQL-Ledger up and running and am running
into a few problems as it pertains to postgreSQL.

I have done the following:

1. As the user postgres (I'm on a debian sysem btw), I have done:
   'createuser mike'

2. As the user 'mike' I have done:
   'createdb mydb'

3. I can, as user 'mike' do:
   'psql mydb'
   and get to the command line utility.

4. I have also ensured that I have the line"
   'tcpip_socket = 1'
   in /etc/postgresql.conf

5. I have mucked around in /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf a bit and not sure
   what I have done in there.

At any rate, when I fire up http://localhost/sqlledger.admin.pl, login, and then try
to "Create Dataset" under the user 'mike', my linux (mike) password, and connect to 'mydb',
I get the following error:FATAL 1: IDENT authentication failed for user "mike".

I'm suspect my problems lie within pg_hba.conf, but whatever I do (thinking it is wide open)
I continue to get the same error message.

Can anyone offer some guidance here?

v/r
Mike