Membership database

Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:13:17 -0700 (MST)

Am 27. Jun, 2002 schwätzte Derek Neighbors so:

> > SPAM, regardless of the cause, is *BAD*!!! We should not mass-email anyone.
>
> I disagree.  Unsolicted SPAM is pure evil.  Solicted SPAM is certainly

If you've asked to receieve it, it isn't SPAM. That's why we can gently use
the announce list ( something we should do more often ).

If, OTOH, we just snarf all the email addies in our lists and start
mass-mailing them, then that's SPAM. They've signed up for the list
mechanisms. Using the email addies outside those contexts is opt-out.

There's no need to hop outside the confines of the lists. People have signed
up for those, let's use them. Let's not start direct emailing with addies
reaped from the mailing lists.

> acceptable.  There are many companies I deal with that I request their
> SPAM because its valuable to me (discounts, special events, promotions
> etc) and I know they dont abuse me.  Other people I do business with I
> woudl never give them my information or if I did I certainly would opt in
> for them to send me anything.

We're mostly saying the same thing, except we're differing on the definition
of SPAM.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we