Crappy Products cost more.

Richard L. Proctor plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:16:28 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C21D0B.4C6D1C20

Is it my imagination or does it seem that the worst products always =
costs more.  ie.  If you want Windows XP you plan on paying $179. for =
the home version and more for the professional version.  Again with =
RedHat you have a $79.95 personal or workstation edition and comes with =
3 cd's.  Get the professional version for around $199.00 and i'm not =
sure how many cd's come with it.  Is RedHat trying to compete with =
Microsoft on who can supply the most expensive product?

Before anyone goes off saying well you can just download the distro and =
don't have to pay those prices.  I am thinking of the newbies.  I would =
never hand a newbie 3 cd's and say here ya go.  I would like to have the =
documentation to go with it.  Of course Redhat and Windows both give you =
wafer thin manuals.  SuSE and Mandrake give you good size manuals with =
plenty of information packed in them.  Also SuSE Professional is only =
$79.95 and comes with 7 cd's and one DVD.  The DVD had everything all 7 =
cd's have and you don't have to do any disk swaps.

I have worked with Redhat, Mandrake, and SuSE and it seems that Redhat =
lags far behind the competitors.  Try to install Redhat on a seperate =
hard disk with Windows XP on the first hard disk in NTFS format,  Redhat =
won't even make an entry for Windows XP in lilo.  I can imagine the =
panic attack a newbies face after the redhat install and the only option =
is Redhat.  LOL  That is of course if you can get Redhat to install in =
the first place. It don't like being on a second drive or on a partiton =
with windows that's any larger than 8 gigs.

SuSE has always installed on any drive no matter what the size or what =
drive since version 7.1 and earlier maybe.  This is a serious issue that =
Redhat needs to address.

I dunno,  I just don't see how the cost of Redhat boxed distro's is =
justified.  Maybe i'm missing the point?  Is there anyone out there that =
can show me the point?

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C21D0B.4C6D1C20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is it my imagination or does it seem =
that the worst=20
products always costs more.&nbsp; ie.&nbsp; If you want Windows XP you =
plan on=20
paying $179. for the home version and more for the professional =
version.&nbsp;=20
Again with RedHat you have a $79.95 personal or workstation edition and =
comes=20
with 3 cd's.&nbsp; Get the professional version for around $199.00 and =
i'm not=20
sure how many cd's come with it.&nbsp; Is RedHat trying to compete with=20
Microsoft on who can supply the most expensive product?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Before anyone goes off saying well you =
can just=20
download the distro and don't have to pay those prices.&nbsp; I am =
thinking of=20
the newbies.&nbsp; I would never hand a newbie 3 cd's and say here ya =
go.&nbsp;=20
I would like to have the documentation to go with it.&nbsp; Of course =
Redhat and=20
Windows both give you wafer thin manuals.&nbsp; SuSE and Mandrake give =
you good=20
size manuals with plenty of information packed in them.&nbsp; Also SuSE=20
Professional is only $79.95 and comes with 7 cd's and one DVD.&nbsp; The =
DVD had=20
everything all 7 cd's have and you don't have to do any disk =
swaps.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have worked with Redhat, Mandrake, =
and SuSE and=20
it seems that Redhat lags far behind the competitors.&nbsp; Try to =
install=20
Redhat on a seperate hard disk with Windows XP on the first hard disk in =
NTFS=20
format,&nbsp; Redhat won't even make an entry for Windows XP in =
lilo.&nbsp; I=20
can imagine the panic attack a newbies face after the redhat install and =
the=20
only option is Redhat.&nbsp; LOL&nbsp; That is of course if you can get =
Redhat=20
to install in the first place. It don't like being on a second drive or =
on a=20
partiton with windows that's any larger than 8 gigs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>SuSE has always installed on any drive =
no matter=20
what the size or what drive since version 7.1 =
and&nbsp;earlier&nbsp;maybe.&nbsp;=20
This is a serious issue that Redhat needs to address.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I dunno,&nbsp; I just don't see how the =
cost of=20
Redhat boxed distro's is justified.&nbsp; Maybe i'm missing the =
point?&nbsp; Is=20
there anyone out there that can show me the point?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C21D0B.4C6D1C20--