Crappy Products Cost More!!

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:41:40 -0400

RedHat Professional comes with 90 days technical support.  It also has all the
printed manuals that would cost about $35 separately.

(A small story, indirectly related.)
I have successfully setup a new CVS server at work using RH7.3, Webmin and
CVS, of course.  In explaining what I had done and what I am using to do it,
our company product manager said, and I quote, "If all that software is free,
why are we using it.  It is probably crap."  This was followed by a brief
demonstration of Webmin that left him less "against" the software but still
not "for" it.
(End of story.)

(Another small story)
A friend of mine runs a technology related service business.  He was getting
too much work so he started raising his quotes.  He started getting even more
work from people that had dropped him before because he was "priced too low to
be very good" as they later told him.
(End of small story)

RedHat, I think, is marketing to the people who think they have to pay for
something for it to be any good.  And if they are right, and people want to
pay for the support and the manuals, they remain a viable company.

Some people want to pay lots of money.  Would we geeks pay it?  Nope.  But
some of the suits and non-geeks will.  RedHat will find out soon enough if the
market will pay the price they are asking.

Alan

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:24:13 -0700 "Richard L. Proctor" <krycom1@cox.net>