Router Simulator

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:25:58 -0700

Raymond Cantwell wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody new where i could get a Cisco router
> simulator that ran under Linux. I have one for my wifes M$ box but,
> need one for my linux box so i can use it outside of the house.

I'm not sure about simulators, but you can make your Linux box into a
live router using Zebra. Zebra uses a very Cisco-like interface. Me and
some pals hooked up our home systems via Zebra to create the OpenWISP
(Worldwide Internet Simulation Project) -- a grandiose name for our
little distributed routing lab. I had my Linux box and five routers,
another guy had a Cisco router and another only a Linux box. We were
able to set up some sophisticated BGP routing scenarios that helped me
ace that portion of the CCNP exams.

If you have a handful of Linux boxen, or even VMware, Zebra can help add
complexity to your routing scenarios. What's more, it's the "real
thing", so you wind up with more of an idea of the "real world" than
with many simulators. BGP wasn't really interesting until we had 7 or 8
routers and a few ASen going. You can easily miss the finer points of
route redistribution with only 2 or 3 routers.

I mentioned my free router pod (http://lab.ttlexceeded.com:8201) in a
separate message to Derek in this thread.

- Bob