Hello I'm new (kinda)

Kyle OMalley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:26:46 -0700

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 01:08:50AM -0700, bob smith wrote:
> Hello Kyle, Welcome aboard.
>
> > Anyways, I'd like to extend my thanks to everyone in
> > and running this
> > group; You guys really do a stellar job.
> >

> > -Kyle
> > Linux: It's a good thing.
> Don't forget Tux's pitchfork toting cousin :). I just
> got perfect dvd playback in freebsd which is something
> I never could accomplish in Linux (My own fault though
> I would assume since I'm using the linux modules to do
> this). Just out of curiosity was there any mention of
> FreeBSD at the latest installfest?

I also use fbsd in a number of places and really enjoy it. My only
problem is it obviously doesnt have the support and momentum like linux
does. The consistency and stability (when the drivers are highly
developed) are killer, along with ffs and and REALLY like the fact it
uses disk slices as compared to using dos paritioning. I use it on my
samba servers, plus I've built a box that does bridging/traffic shapping
(using dummynet). Works AMAZINGLY well and is a million times easier to
implement compared to cbq stuff on linux.

I wish there were a monthly bsd meeting. Is there? I seem to recall
searching them out awhile back but all I came up with was a broken
website.

-Kyle