Webmin via Apache

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
25 Jun 2002 19:36:10 -0700

On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 12:36, Digital Wokan wrote:
> Mandrake specifically SSL-enabled webmin.  If you install the Red Hat version,
> from a tarball, or from several other distros, they aren't SSL-enabled.
> Don't know why Mandrake was the only one to bother with what I would consider
> a very important option.

----
Redhat doesn't supply webmin at all - period

rpm's from webmin's site are noarch/nodistro rpms

tarballs are so easy and better for updating...webmin has it's own
module to update itself so the rpm's for webmin are for people that have
figured out 'rpm -Uvh/ivh webmin-0.99x.noarch.rpm' but 'tar zxvf
webmin-0.99x.tar.gz' and then 'cd webmin-0.99x' and then './setup.sh'
isn't much more difficult and sets up a new privileged user local to
webmin rather than relying on the system root user and system root
password. In just about every instance, having a separate user in webmin
is better than root.

I use webmin - I use redhat - I would never use the rpm's to install
webmin. I wouldn't recommend them.

As for SSL - download Net::SSLeay.pm-1.05 from webmin's website - takes
2 minutes to unpack and install (on a slow modem).

Craig

Craig